KidsAbility™ ensures your child’s personal health information remains confidential, according to Federal and Provincial legislation. This includes the Ontario Health Care Consent Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA), the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), the Canadian Human Rights Code, the Child and Family Services Act and the respective Colleges’ regulations, code of ethics and standards of practice.
Each time staff members work with your child, written notes are made. This information helps us with our work. These notes tell what happened during the visit, any treatment provided and a plan for future care or treatment. You will receive copies of reports done by KidsAbility therapists.
You have the right to:
- Restrict the use and sharing of your child's information
- Request access and copies of your child's health record
- Cancel your approval to use and share your child's information
- Maintain the privacy of your child's health information
- Notify you if we are unable to agree to a requested restriction
- Accommodate reasonable requests you may have to communicate health information by alternative means or at alternative locations
eCHN The Electronic Child Health Network is founded on the principle that up-to-date, accurate and comprehensive information is vital to timely decision making. The key objective is to improve the quality of care delivered to our children by medical professionals throughout Ontario. KidsAbility therapists are registered eCHN users so they may access reports and records from other service providers in the ‘circle of care’ (for example, Sick Children’s Hospital, London Health Sciences, Hamilton Health Sciences).
- As required by law, staff must report all incidents of suspected child abuse to Family and Children's Services.
- As required by law, the Centre must comply when the courts legally request client information through a subpoena/court order.
Full details on KidsAbility’s commitment to Privacy and Ethics can be found online: